Bernice McKinley Chambers
Bernice McKinley Chambers was born on May 28, 1907 in Shelby, Mississippi, a daughter of Albert and Mary Jane Jackson McKinley. Her family moved to Champaign in 1920 when she was 13 years old. She then completed her formal education in the Champaign School System.
She was employed by the University of Illinois as a Cook in the residence halls and retired some 25 years later as a Food Service Administrator. After retirement, she was in charge of the Peace Meal Program at the Douglass Senior Center, for 18 years.
Under the pastorate of Reverend R. D. Hayden, she joined the Salem Baptist Church where she sang in the choir and served as President of the Gospel Choir. She especially values her family and church work at Salem Baptist Church. She was a regular attendee at Sunday School and BYPU and served as an Assistant Church Clerk.
She was a member and past Matron of the Deborah Chapter #27, Eastern Star, the Daughters of Isis and held several offices of the Eureka Grand Chapter of Prince Hall Affiliation of Illinois. She was also director of the Douglass Peace Meals program.
Bernice McKinley Chambers passed away on January 2, 2000.